Sunday, September 6, 2009

9.6.09

Well it's been about one week since I've posted anything, hope everyone didn't get to anxious! I haven't posted much because I haven't been doing much...from Sept. 1-5 I was in survival Arabic class for 4-5 hours a day and it took me 2+ hours of traveling to get to and from the campus. In between taking the classes I was battling the wonderful bacterias and other food born friends that we don't have in the US. I've recovered now and am back to eating disgustingly huge portions.

Last night I finally was able to do a touristy thing. Not sure I've ever been so excited to be a tourist, but it's a pretty amazing place. A bunch of us rode horses out into the desert near the Pyramids. The Pyramids are an amazing site to see. The rise up above the glowing horizon line caused by the never sleeping city of Cairo. We took the horses to a bedouin like cafe set up out in the desert and sat and drank some tea and stared at the structures. The laser light show was still going on so we weren't able to go up to the Pyramids without paying a fortune, but we did get to see some of the show from where we were. It was quite amazing sitting there thinking about how every year I read about my ancestors building the Pyramids and then following Moses to freedom. There were even remnants of one of the 10 plagues! Every so often a Locust would fly by. When looking at the Pyramids, it makes no sense that people built them thousands of years ago, they're too big, too perfect...makes one wonder if aliens really did come down and construct them.

Riding the horses was an adventure within itself. These horses were not like American horses you can rent or take on a ride. Two of them were still being trained, I was put on one of them to start, which sucked because the horse had to be led the entire time. On the way back in I switched horses so I could just ride on my own and I quickly learned why my old horse had to be led. All it would do is run! Not only were two horses not broken in all the way, but two riders fell off and two horses decided they wanted to lay down and roll in the sand even though they had riders on them. Just a completely different experience than trail riding back home.

This is it for now, but I promise that things will be updated much more frequently now that I'm not going to class every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment