Sunday, August 30, 2009

8.28.09

So my adventure began on a bit, well more than a bit, of a sour note. Made it to Toronto plenty early, made it to LGA on time, caught the shuttle to JFK and made it there with enough time to check in and change my seat to an exit row. After getting my ticket I was informed that the flight was delayed for 3.5 hours and would depart at 10pm, but I figured no big deal, I have an exit row seat for a 12 hour flight so maybe it won’t be so bad. By the time I got to the gate (15 minutes later), the flight was delayed until 10:30pm, as the clock ticked closer to 10:30 I started to get a bad feeling because no gate number was appearing next to my flight, but flights leaving at 1am had gates. Needless to say I was not happy! A glimmer of hope appeared around 10, the flight crew showed up and was waiting to get on the plane. It’s finally 10:30pm, I’m thinking “Cairo here I come!” Nope! JFK Ramada Inn here I come! At 10:31 representatives from Egypt Air told us they were taking us to a hotel and we would know within 2 hours when we were leaving.

The hotel was a bit of a dump, rooms were musty, the buffet dinner was not very good and the wireless signal was horrible so I was fighting my computer and their modem for hours trying to establish a consistent signal. 3 hours pass, no word from Egypt Air. Finally at 3:30pm the next day I get a call to come get my boarding pass. I get to the airport, trade in my boarding pass, but my new one isn’t an exit row, it’s the last row of the plane. Shortly after boarding the plane I learnt I had the 2nd worst seat on the entire plane (the guy sitting next to me had the worst one). In front of me was a special needs child who was screaming and making half dinosaur half bird calls all night and then right across from my row was the bathroom so every time someone went to the bathroom I had the privileged of having the likes of a spotlight bearing down on me when the door opened. I’ve bet most of you have realized I didn’t sleep at all on that overnight flight.

I finally made it to Cairo, a day late, tired and aggravated…

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha... we had the same situation going to tokyo. Kat and i had last 2 of 3 seats in the last row and the father of 3 young daughters (who had the seat next to us) was frantically trying to figure out which daughter should sit where since they were scattered about the cabin. I convinced Dan to give up his seat since one of the daughters had the seat next to him. Unfortunately the back seats did not recline, was next to the bathroom, the overhead cabin above dan's head was filled with pillows, blankets and headphones which fell on top of dan everytime it was opened and i def got an earful on the flight... at least for the first 2 hours until he took his xanax and passed out. Hope all is well. I'll check back to see some more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete